Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author

Tariq
      Participant

Hello ,
      I would like to know how to deal with students whose reading comprehension is poor.
      I am a Lower Secondary Teacher of English.Kindly post your comments here .

Neeru@ch
      Participant

Identifying their difficulty level by way of assessment. Providing different reading materials to find their interest where they perform better. And then tailor the strategies to meet their needs.Vocabulary building by way of writing difficult words in a saparate notebook, reinforcement of those words and using them in their own words. Encouraging students to actively participate in group discussions by providing prompts on various topics. Providing constructive feedback on their areas of improvement.And most importantly incorporating reading practice with positive environment should help the student.

Tariq
        Participant

I will try to implement the same .
        Thank you.

drbilalahmadbhat
      Participant

Dear its better to help them learn annotating the material , they should read simple texts- 1 grade down their grade level , use underlining and highlighters. Focus must be started with explicit meaning and then move to implicit meanings . No doubt , extra worksheets are essential .Thank
      You U.

Tariq
        Participant

Thank you for your valuable feedback dear.
        I agree with you. We must start from simple to complex maxims. I would like to implement these strategies in my classes.

drbilalahmadbhat
        Participant

Collaboration will surely help us grow as better teachers of tomorrow.
        Thank you

Tariq
      Participant

I agree with you sir .
      This is the right platform to collaborate.

raukiya
      Participant

As an early year teacher
      We stess on the letter sounds, then blends once they master this we begin further with phrases and then sentence. Reading is a step wise process , going back to the basic is the key.

As time is crucial provide paired reading and guided reading. Take small steps.

Gpawar
      Participant

You could do active reading practice, since reading and then analysing is the key skill we need to develop. One of them is question the author, where we pause in between the text and ask questions. The students could do vocabulary exercises like this. It helps then read faster and better. Along side gives creative ideas.

GayathriKumarasamy
      Participant

Hi Mr Tariq,
      First try to find their level of reading through running records- bench mark assessments. Use https://www.readinga-z.com/newfiles/levels/runrecord/runrec.html This will help you know more about it. Then based on it check if the student knows all the phonics sounds(7 groups-jolly phonics-42 sounds). Else just brush them up as they are lower secondary students. It will take just one 40 minutes session.

By following the above two procedures you can identify students who don’t know how to read using phonic sounds and then give them special care to improve their reading.

I have taught more than 500 students within 3 years. Just 10 days of practice is enough to make them good readers.

Viewing 6 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

[snax_content]