Empowering Vocabulary: Nurturing Excellence Through Words

At the dawn of our existence, we enter the world devoid of words. As we evolve, our vocabulary blossoms, with an educated adult typically having a collection of 10,000 to 20,000 words. Remarkably, only 20% of these words find frequent expression, while the remaining 80% lies dormant within our cognitive reserves, awaiting their chance to shine.


The intrinsic value of a rich vocabulary cannot be overstated. It serves as the bedrock of our communication abilities, empowering individuals to articulate thoughts with precision and depth. Those skilled in exercising a diverse lexicon are often perceived to excel in both personal and professional realms, where effective expression is synonymous with success.

Vocabulary is not merely acquired; it is nurtured across the lifespan, honed through diverse contexts and experiences. Its true essence unfolds when words are seamlessly woven into the fabric of everyday discourse, finding resonance in a multitude of settings. Whether shared in peer interactions, social exchanges, or inscribed within our written expressions, the regular application of newly acquired words enriches our journey of linguistic expansion.


Within the educational domain, the pursuit of enhancing reading skills among our young learners assumes paramount importance. An integral facet of this pursuit lies in nurturing the vocabulary of our students, ensuring that each word finds relevance and resonance in their world. Every facet of our educational ecosystem plays a pivotal role in consciously embracing and utilizing these newfound linguistic treasures, fostering an environment where words thrive and evolve.


Language teachers, the custodians of linguistic enlightenment must delve into its origin, evolution, and nuanced meaning. By imparting comprehensive insights into a word’s prefix, suffix, etymology, and historical contexts, they pave the way for a deeper appreciation of language and its transformative power.


Together, let us embrace the noble pursuit of building a vocabulary-rich childhood at school—a sanctuary where each word finds its place and purpose. For in the eloquent words of Rita Mae Brown,

Language is the road map of a culture. It tells you where its people come from and where they are going.”

Minni Adhikari



Written by MinniAdhikari

Leave a Reply

Power of positive Feedback

Need to Know